Just wanted to give people the chance to understand why my pregnancy are a little different then most. This way I can explain it all at once. I have a condition called Incompetent Cervix. It happens when your cervix is too weak to hold in the baby and may lead to miscarriage or preterm birth. For those of you who don't know where the cervix is here is a picture.
It also shows the procedure that most women with IC get, which is called a cerclage. It is a purse string stucher (a continuous, circular inverting suture) that is placed around the cervix. This is done in a hospital with an epidural. Most of the time people think the whole vagina is sewed close lol, this is not true at all. This stitch is called a McDonald Stitch and is the one I will be getting:
Now if all goes well with the the cerclage then little to no bed rest is needed... however, in most cases the cervix ends up funneling to the stitch (which is when your cervix makes a v to the cerclage location instead of staying tight together) and bed rest is recommended. So for the next 8 months I will either be taking it easy or laying flat on my back. I'm getting my stitch in on July 14, Wish me Luck!




2 comments:
Wow.
You mean you don't want to carry those pictures around in your purse and pull them out to explain to everyone that asks?!? (hee hee)
I hope it goes well and you can go forward with little to no bed rest!
Yikes, not fun! But I really hope it works for you.
Post a Comment